In the new 2020 the world was facing a new type of infectious disease caused by a new virus- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Given the fact that it is a new and so far, haven’t been developed or recognized in the medicine, there is not proper way to prevent and escape it in standardized way as it is with other viruses.
The way it spreads is with a close contact with infected person, mostly trough transmission via cough or sneeze (through respiratory droplets) from the infected person to the healthy, or when a person touches a surface or object that has the virus on it, and then touches their face (nose, eyes, mouth).
If a person is infected with this virus, they notice symptoms such as a cough, fever, difficulty breathing, meaning it causes respiratory illness, the way that the flu does.
There is still no vaccine for COVID-19. With this is mind, doctors and experts suggest couple ways to prevent, protect and avoid this virus:
– First of all, the main suggestion is HYGIENE:
– Washing your hands at least 15 seconds with soap and water, frequently using hand sanitizer that has at least 60% alcohol in it, wash your face, neck and have showers every day. Hand washing is highlighted because it is the easiest way on how germs are transmitted from one person to another. When you wash the hands, you destroy the potential spread of the virus by totally eliminating any particles left on your skin, that may be carrier of the virus.
It is very important to wash the hands right after activities such as: – touching the face, mouth, nose, after using the toilet, throwing out the garbage, before preparing food, playing with pets, going outside where you had a contact with some surface or object, shopping, or other activities.
– Clean all surfaces around you: the household, devices (PCs and mobile phones, smart devices, etc), door knobs, tables, desks, toilets, sinks, etc. If surfaces are dirty, it is recommended to disinfectant them with water and detergent (in this case, use disinfectants appropriate for the surface);
– In case you feel like coughing or sneezing, take a tissue and cough or sneeze by covering your nose/ mouth with it and than immediately through it away and wash your hands.
– Second recommendation is ISOLATION:
– Social distancing is the most practiced form of prevention world wide in the times of COVID-19 outbreak. Basically, this type of medieval precaution has been taken because it is obvious that every social dynamic where people physically interact can be a potential way for further spreading of the virus.
In terms from closing restaurants, malls, schools, Universities, theatres, cinemas, ban for all kinds of social gatherings, to lockdowns and banning to leave the home in given hours.
For every person it calls for having a social conscience and stay in their home, avoid gathering with friends and family at the home, don’t socialize in parks or open spaces in groups and keep a proper distance from one another.